On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 09:47:27 -0700,  Carol DeVolder wrote:
I think one reason for the low response rate is that everyone is busy
getting ready for the start of classes.

I understand that but, c'mon, a simple response like "interesting"
or "you're out of your freakin' mind" can be made quickly enough.
Even a "I did not know that" would be useful.  Given the effort I
put it into writing and getting the appropriate references, when
I get no response I have to wonder "did anybody read this?".

I read your post but was traveling
and didn't have time to follow the links. It is difficult for me to let go of the 7 plus or minus 2 concept, but I suppose that's because I am relying
on my own experience (a bad idea, I know).

When Nelson Cowan first advocated for the "magical number 4"
I was resistant to it even though Herb Simon had suggested this
back in the early 1970s but he was focusing on subitizing which
he argued was somewhat separate from what Miller called
"immediate memory" (which in retrospect has become an
ambiguous construct and, as Cowen 2015's Psych Rev article
points out, Miller had not really thought this through and threw
stuff together in order to make a presentation at EPA --
though he made a similar presentation at a 1956 MIT symposium
on Information Theory which also had Noam Chomsky present
his theory of Syntax, Newell & Simon present the Logic
Theorist, Green [?] present on signal detection theory,
and other folks).  The Atkinson & Shiffrin model accommodated
the magical number 7 STM nicely but this became trickier
with the rise of levels of processing theory (no structure to be
limited, it all depended on how one processed info which turns
out to much more important) and Baddeley's Working Memory
model which has been somewhat vague on limitations though
individual differences in capacity does appear to distinguish
different individuals *when they are left to their own devices*.

I am going to pursue the additional reading if and when I get time.

Okay, you're forgiven. ;-)

Thanks, Mike, Mike, and Jim.
Carol