I've been reading the reviews with much interest. As a cognitive
psychologist, I have followed the many publications based on H.M. over the
years (and stayed up half the night to watch the live streaming of the
sectioning for the Brain Observatory analysis).

My first concern about the book was based on the assertion that the
additional damage to H.M.'s brain was covered up. I clearly remembered the
reports immediately following the Brain Observatory work, which reported
this damage.

The author's personal connection to the surgeon also raised concerns about
his objectivity in the case (even if he is not particularly kind to his
grandfather). However, many historians warn against making judgments about
historical decisions from a contemporary context. (Milgram's work does not
fare well from this type of analysis. Nor do many other psychological
research projects.) Hindsight gives us the wisdom to adopt a moral high
ground that might not have been so obvious in 1950. As I recall, the case
analysis of H.M. indicated he was experiencing 2 or 3 major and/or minor
seizures a week and they were not responsive to treatments available at
that time. If you know anyone who experiences major epileptic seizures, you
will be aware of how debilitating these are. As a graduate student, I knew
a student in another discipline who began to have difficulty controlling
his condition. He was exhausted and had short-term memory problems for days
after a major episode.

Yes, Corkin was protective and limited access of other researchers to H.M.
Although I sympathized with researchers who might have liked to do their
own research with H.M., I can also imagine the circus that might have
ensued if people had had unfettered access to a vulnerable man. Again,
thinking as a historian, when did we begin to demand informed consent from
the legal guardian of a person who is unable to give informed consent - for
memory research (not medical research). As a memory researcher, informed
consent was unheard of as an expectation until the late 1970s. I recall
that transition because it happened between data collection for my master's
and data collection for my dissertation.

This new book has been getting plenty of attention in the media. Some of it
is pretty sensational. No doubt the author will make a pile of dough from
his use of H.M.'s story. Seems a bit self-serving. I'm not sure I want to
cooperate with that game.

Yes, the book raises interesting issues about the conduct of research on
vulnerable populations. I find it interesting that it appears after Dr.
Corkin is no longer able to speak in her own defense. The Mnookin review
reinforces my thinking.

I appreciate the thoughtful discussion on this list.

Best,
Claudia

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
BLDG 53 Suite 201
University of West Florida
Pensacola, FL  32514

Phone:   (850) 857-6355 (direct) or  473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/offices/cutla/ <http://uwf.edu/cutla/>