On Sep 1, 2016, at 7:29 PM, Stuart Vyse <vyse.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As far as the book is concerned, I strongly recommend it. It is very well
> written….  Yes, he should have footnoted. The book is a blend of memoir and
> serious biography. In many cases, the source is obvious because he engaged in
> first person interviews, but he also used various archives, newspapers, and
> journal articles. So he should have footnoted.---

I plan on reading it for the reasons you mentioned (deleted here by an
ellipsis), but I’m hot certain the extent to which I can use his claims in
class discussions if I’m unable to check sources—especially for the more
contentious claims.

I hope that criticisms of these claims will, over time, compel him to release
more source material, as he did when criticisms from MIT caused him to publish
the audio file of part of his interview with Corkin
(https://medium.com/@lukedittrich/questions-answers-about-patient-h-m-ae4ddd33ed9c#.2zxenq4zf).

By the way, a science journalist named Philip Hilts wrote a book about Molaison
back in 1996. He did include a bibliography. He also reported for the first
time that H.M.’s first name was ‘Henry’. I haven’t read the book since it first
came out, but I think he heard the first name when it was accidentally used in
his presence at the MIT location where Henry was tested each year.

Best,
Jeff

Reference:

Hilts, P. J. (1996). Memory's ghost: The nature of memory and the strange tale
of Mr. M. Simon and Schuster.

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences
Scottsdale Community College