From: Carol DeVolder [mailto:devoldercar...@gmail.com]
Sent: January-13-17 6:30 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Has Anyone Done a Content & Stylistic Analysis of Tweets?

These showed up in my Facebook feed:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/06/upshot/how-to-know-what-donald-trump-really-cares-about-look-at-who-hes-insulting.html?_r=0

http://varianceexplained.org/r/trump-tweets/

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu<mailto:m...@nyu.edu>>
wrote:
This is a follow-up to my original post and Claudia's response because of new
information.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 19:06:07 -0800, Claudia Stanny wrote:
I haven't seen an analysis other than the examination of the originating device
to determine "true" authorship (V himself on an android or an underling on an
iPhone).

I'm sure a content analysis can't be far behind, if only from the literary
types who use this type of analysis to guess at authorship. There is a
literature on this analysis among Shakespeare scholars and Biblical scholars
(authorship of different books0.

The latest issue of "Psychological Methods" is a special issue
devoted to "Big Data in Psychology" (big data is the current fad in "Data
Science") and one of the articles is relevant to my
original question of whether there was research on the analysis
of the content of Tweets.  The following reference and abstract
describes research that focused on change in emotional content
of Tweets from before and after violent incidents on college
campuses.  Interestingly, it uses Pennebaker's LIWC in addition
to statistical analyses.  For those who are interested, here's
some info:

Tweeting negative emotion: An investigation of Twitter data in the aftermath of
violence on college campuses.Jones, N. M.; Wojcik, S. P.; Sweeting, J.; &
Silver, R. C.
Psychological Methods, Vol 21(4), Dec 2016, 526-541. doi: 10.1037/met0000099
Studying communities impacted by traumatic events is often costly, requires
swift action to enter the field when disaster strikes, and may be invasive for
some traumatized respondents. Typically, individuals are studied after the
traumatic event with no baseline data against which to compare their
postdisaster responses. Given these challenges, we used longitudinal Twitter
data across 3 case studies to examine the impact of violence near or on college
campuses in the communities of Isla Vista, CA, Flagstaff, AZ, and Roseburg, OR,
compared with control communities, between 2014 and 2015. To identify users
likely to live in each community, we sought Twitter accounts local to those
communities and downloaded tweets of their respective followers. Tweets were
then coded for the presence of event-related negative emotion words using a
computerized text analysis method (Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count, LIWC). In
Case Study 1, we observed an increase in postevent negative emotion expression
among sampled followers after mass violence, and show how patterns of response
appear differently based on the timeframe under scrutiny. In Case Study 2, we
replicate the pattern of results among users in the control group from Case
Study 1 after a campus shooting in that community killed 1 student. In Case
Study 3, we replicate this pattern in another group of Twitter users likely to
live in a community affected by a mass shooting. We discuss conducting
trauma-related research using Twitter data and provide guidance to researchers
interested in using Twitter to answer their own research questions in this
domain. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2016 APA, all rights reserved)

So, I guess the real question is whether anyone is doing a LIWC
analysis of Voldemort's tweets?  I'd suggest folks write up a
research proposal to get some grant money to do this research
if it isn't being done but I have a feeling that anyone suggesting
such research will probably be gulaged after you know who
takes over.

m...@nyu.edu<mailto:m...@nyu.edu>

P.S.  Maybe out Canadian colleagues can do a LIWC analysis
of tweets before and after the election, eh? ;-)

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as:
devoldercar...@gmail.com<mailto:devoldercar...@gmail.com>.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=177920.a45340211ac7929163a0216244443341&n=T&l=tips&o=50221
or send a blank email to
leave-50221-177920.a45340211ac7929163a0216244443...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-50221-177920.a45340211ac7929163a0216244443...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

--
Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca<mailto:j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=3229968.90f21a83d5f62f052ba84a49e2f91291&n=T&l=tips&o=50222

leave-50222-3229968.90f21a83d5f62f052ba84a49e2f91...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-50222-3229968.90f21a83d5f62f052ba84a49e2f91...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>