It IS a fascinating world., that of tweets. I would assume that various
research and marketing firms do big data analyses of tweets. It would seem to
offer rich possibilities to also explore the issues you highlight here as well
as the spread of rumors, emotional contagion, and source factors such as those
from celebrities, those hi and low social status, etc. I wonder if the Survey
Research center at U. Michigan is doing anything interesting along these lines.
Maybe some tipsters will have connections?

G.L. (Gary) Peterson,Ph.D
Psychology@SVSU

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=50229
or send a blank email to