Just to add to your list, I have found that the most commonly used verb
in the popular press to represent a correlation is "linked" or "linked
to."

Jon

===============
Jon Mueller
Professor of Psychology
North Central College
30 N. Brainard St.
Naperville, IL 60540
voice: (630)-637-5329
fax: (630)-637-5121
jfmuel...@noctrl.edu
http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu

>>> Jim Clark <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca> 7/19/2017 12:34 PM >>>

Hi

One thing to consider with respect to use of effect would be whether
there are more precise alternatives. There are a number of phrases that
capture the “effect” without using that term. One mentioned earlier was
“relationship.” Others would be “correlated with,” “related to,”
“covaried,” “associated with,” and probably others. Given such
alternatives, use of “effect” could easily be avoided and prevent
incorrect inferences. One exception would be Chris’s point about
statistical effects.

Take care
Jim