I am a stats moron by self-description. Although I "aced" stats in graduate
school in the 1970's/1980's I am woefully behind in anything new since then.

So I would appreciate if someone can give me at least a quick and dirty
heuristic for interpreting the size of partial eta squared in SPSS. I did
google it but got little helpful guidance.

Here is the situation: I have a 2 x 2 x 2 anova with a main effect on one
of the variables. Here is the output line:
Source Type III Sum of Squares df Mean Square       F Sig. Partial Eta
Squared
Refute2            11.593                1 11.593           10.004 .002
        .061
Error          179.626            155   1.159
Total         1302.000             163

I am concerned that even though the p value is quite nice, the partial eta
squared at .061 is hard to make sense of. Is this a good effect size or is
this a tiny effect size?

Thanks to you stats mavens! Reading about eta squared versus partial eta
squared just didn't answer my questions.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences
University of San Diego