Hi

According to some sources, yours would be a medium size effect.

“Further confusion surrounds the benchmarks suggested by Cohen (1969, pp.
278–280)<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1747938X11000029#bib0050>
 to define small, medium, and large effects. As was explained earlier, these
were based upon values of f that correspond to values of partial η2 of .0099,
.0588, and .1379, respectively.”

One complication in interpreting partial eta2 is its dependence on the
denominator, which will vary depending on how much variability the other
effects account for. In your case,

.061 = 11.593 / (11.593 + 179.626)

But SS Error = 179.626 < SS Total = 1302 because other effects account for much
of the 1302 units of variability. Without those other effects, partial eta2
would be smaller and with additional other effects partial eta2 would be larger.

Given the complexities, Michael’s advice would be a sensible way to go if you
can find relevant prior literature using partial eta2.

Take care
Jim

Jim Clark
Professor of Psychology