From: Christopher Green [chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 10:04 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: [tips] Phineas Gage Day

Bill Altman reminded me (over on psychteach) of today’s special anniversary.

It was exactly 170 years ago today that Phineas Gage’s life and historical fate
were changed in an instant when a tamping iron he was using to set an explosive
charge at a railway-building site in Vermont was accidentally blown through his
head. Normally that would have been the end of his story but, as you know, he
survived the calamity and went on to become one of the most studied
neurological cases in history.

A little over a decade ago, I had the opportunity to interview Malcolm
Macmillan, who knows more about the case than almost anyone. You can find the
interview embedded in an episode if my “This Week in the History of Psychology”
podcast series here: https://www.yorku.ca/christo/podcasts/TWITHOP-Sep11.mp3
(go to 4:45).

Chris

Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Canada

chri...@yorku.ca<mailto:chri...@yorku.ca>
http://www.yorku.ca/christo

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
ro...@stjohns.edu<mailto:ro...@stjohns.edu>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf851&n=T&l=tips&o=52776

leave-52776-3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-52776-3343621.18283a1227eb73d1ce74b7f7163cf...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>

This email may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged material for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distribution or
recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the
sender by reply email and delete all copies of this message.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=52777
or send a blank email to
leave-52777-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu