There's MythTV, but if you're not already comfortable with Linux the learning 
curve is very steep.  I would start with their live distribution (CD bootable). 
 There are other DVR packages out there too, some free, some not, some Windows, 
some Linux.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

I doubt any of them are as family friendly at TiVo.



________________________________
From: Mike Thomas <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Saturday, December 27, 2008 8:42:29 PM
Subject: [TiVo Central] Nero Liquid TV?


Does anybody have any experience with Nero Liquid TV and can give some
opinions on it?

In my seemingly never-ending quest for the ability to play back DVDs (and
preferably DVDs ripped to ISOs) using a TiVo-like interface, I wondered
whether Liquid TV might be able to this (play DVD ISOs).

I have read a couple of reviews but they weren't in-depth enough to cover
this kind of question.

BWT I tried this on Vista Media Center about a year ago and it was very hard
to accurately fast-forward in a movie that had been ripped to the hard drive
(as individual VOBs, IFOs, etc., not as an ISO). To be fair I was blown away
that a Microsoft product would even let you play VOBs, but it turns out it's
an unsupported feature, and appeared to have two fast-forward speeds -
1.00000001x and 1000x ;-)

Any other suggestions welcome, although with the exception of Liquid TV they
would probably be diverging us from the discussion at hand (TiVo).

Thanks ... Mike

    


      

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to