On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 14:56, s.l-c.o <[email protected]> wrote:

> It's been awhile since I last brought this subject up to the group, but I
> gave the Humax S2 to a son and he got a quote from
> Weaknees.com to fix it for 149.00 for parts, et. without knowing what's
> even the problem with it.
> My question is, is this
> worth it for an older machine? Would he be better off sending it to TiVo
> instead of Weaknees?
>
If is does still have lifetime, and he doesn't need an HD box, it is
probably worth getting fixed up.  (Especially if this is one of the Humax
DVD/TiVo boxes, but even if it is a non-DVD Humax.)  One benefit of going
through WeaKnees is that he could have them upgrade it at the same time.
 They can stick in up to 1TB, maybe more, for a little bit extra.  TiVo, if
they'll repair it, will only install the default capacity.  And I think
they're repair fee starts at $179.

> Also, my main concern after that is, this unit had the lifetime service
> with
> Tivo, although its a Humax. But when I purchased the new S3HD Tivo, I don't
> remember if I transferred the lifetime service from the Humax over to my
> new
> tivo or not, or if it was even possible.
> Because I think I have lifetime on the new one but I don't remember paying
> for it again.
>
Log into your account on tivo.com and look at your DVR status.  It should
tell you what kind of subscription is on each unit in the account.


> Would anyone know what the policy is for the lifetime service before I tell
>
> him to go
> ahead and get it fixed? If it doesn't carry the Service it might not be
> worth it to him.
>
Lifetime is tied to the box - it is lifetime of the box - and generally they
do not allow you to transfer lifetime.  *However*, they have run specials in
the past where they allowed lifetime transfers for a limited time.  In those
cases they'd move lifetime to the new box, and the old box would get one
year of service free.  Then you'd have to start paying for a sub to keep
using it - and they start billing monthly at the end of that year
automatically.

So the only way to know if you did that or not is to look at the sub type on
the box on the site - or on the box itself on the System Info screen, but if
the S2 is dead that's not currently an option.

-- 
[email protected] / [email protected] Geek, Gweep, Technophile, me.
www.GizmoLovers.com / www.MegaZone.org / www.Eyrie-Productions.com Hail Eris
Twitter.com/megazone / Facebook.com/megazone / www.LinkedIn.com/in/megazone
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 432-363-4296


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to