Thanks Kevin

The only place I specify a font is on this line:
mytext = Text(root, background='#101010', foreground="#D6D6D6",
borderwidth=18, relief='sunken',width=16, height=5, font="Times 8
bold" )

I am using native Aqua version as I don't explicitly change it anywhere.
I am not sure of what you mean when you say it looks pixelated, but
could that be because of taking a screenshot ?

The problem has been reported on a large number of Mac Pcs - so am
sure not all of them would be HiDPI/Retina display

thanks
Bhaskar Chaudhary