More details, please.  :-)  Maybe enough for someone to reproduce or
at least figure out what is going on?

Which winkeydaemon?  (I know of at least 3 different programs to
provide a cwdaemon interface to WinKeyer.)

It should be possible for muting to work, in theory at least.  My
implementation works with the WInKeyer sidetone turned on or off.

Best regards,

Drew
n7da