On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Martin Rex <m...@sap.com> wrote:

> Eric Rescorla wrote:
> >
> > That is what the document says:
> > "Versions of TLS before 1.3 supported compression and the list of
> > compression methods was supplied in this field. For any TLS 1.3
> > ClientHello, this field MUST contain only the ?null? compression method
> > with the code point of 0. If a TLS 1.3 ClientHello is received with any
> > other value in this field, the server MUST generate a fatal
> > ?illegal_parameter? alert. Note that TLS 1.3 servers may receive TLS 1.2
> or
> > prior ClientHellos which contain other compression methods and MUST
> follow
> > the procedures for the appropriate prior version of TLS."
>
> The quoted wording calls for a fatal handshake failure when ClientHello
> offers
>
>   TLSv1.2+compression  _or_  TLSv1.3
>
> while at the same time the last requirement asserts that a ClientHello with
>
>   TLSv1.2+compression
>
> is perfectly OK.  To me, this looks quite odd.

That's not how I read this text.

Rather, I read it as:
If ClientHelloVersion >= TLS 1.3
   then the compression field must be empty
else:
   the compression field is dictated by other versions

This doesn't seem inconsistent to me. If you still think that the paragraph
reads differently, can you help me by diagramming it?