I'm mostly convinced by this text in RFC 5116:

   Because the authenticated decryption process
   detects incorrect nonce values, no security failure will result if a
   nonce is incorrectly reconstructed and fed into an authenticated
   decryption operation.  Any nonce reconstruction method will need to
   take into account the possibility of loss or reorder of ciphertexts
  between the encryption and decryption processes.

It would probably be worth checking with the cryptographers in the room.

CCing Hugo and McGrew.

-Ekr