From: Eric Rescorla [mailto:e...@rtfm.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2015 9:33 AM
To: Adam Langley
Cc: Martin Thomson; tls@ietf.org; Hugo Krawczyk; David McGrew (mcgrew)
Subject: Re: [TLS] Version in record MAC

I'm mostly convinced by this text in RFC 5116:

   Because the authenticated decryption process

   detects incorrect nonce values, no security failure will result if a

   nonce is incorrectly reconstructed and fed into an authenticated

   decryption operation.  Any nonce reconstruction method will need to

   take into account the possibility of loss or reorder of ciphertexts

   between the encryption and decryption processes.

It would probably be worth checking with the cryptographers in the room.

CCing Hugo and McGrew.

-Ekr

On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 5:46 PM, Adam Langley