On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL
<u...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 12/16/15, 10:50, "Watson Ladd" <watsonbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Blumenthal, Uri - 0553 - MITLL
>><u...@ll.mit.edu> wrote:
>>> OK, let me try an extremely naïve approach.
>>>
>>> Say, an adversary observes a ton of TLS traffic between A and B. Using
>>> approach that Watson and others outlined, he can now tell that this is
>>>not a
>>> truly random stream but a bunch of encrypted data. My question is, from
>>> practical real-world point of view - so what? (Of course, beyond the
>>>ability
>>> to publish a real paper that IND-* has been compromised :)
>>>
>>> If there are practical consequences, like loss of confidentiality – I’m
>>> dying to hear the outline of a practical attack.
>>
>>The problem is that people design systems assuming something like
>>indistinguishability. And so when you violate that assumption, all
>>bets are off.
>
> I don’t buy this. AFAIK, TLS has not been designed based on that
> assumption. And I’m not making any bets. :)

What security properties does TLS provide? In the past TLS users have
made assumptions that TLS provides security properties it does not.
The solution to this problem is to provide the security properties
that people expect, and they expect IND.

> But:
>
>>What is the actual problem with either implementing rekeying, or
>>limiting data to something like 128 GByte per connection?
>
> As far as I’m concerned - none (no problem). And if there’s a way to
> enforce rekeying sooner than that (limiting data-under-one-key to a MUCH
> smaller amount) - I’d be in favor of that too. I just don’t accept the
> above justification for it - and want to be shown how loss of IND property
> in TLS context leads to a practical attack.

The practical attack is the loss of IND property. That's the attack.
This is not a weakness in the proven bounds, but a mode limitation.
Since you've agreed we can rekey more frequently