I think it is a good idea to rekey AES-GCM after approximately 2^32 records, give or take a few magnitudes.

The question for me isn't whether AES-GCM requires frequent rekeying (it does), but exactly how much complexity the rekeying mechanism would add, to the protocol and to implementations.

On 2015-12-28 20:54, Eric Rescorla wrote:
Scott, Henrick,

Are you persuaded by Watson's analysis?

Thanks,
-Ekr

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 7:41 AM, Hubert Kario <hka...@redhat.com <mailto:hka...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    On Tuesday 15 December 2015 20:01:58 Bill Frantz wrote:
    > So we have to trade off the risks of too much data vs. the risks
    > of a complex rekey protocol vs. the risks having the big data
    > applications build new connections every 2**36 or so bytes.
    >
    > If we don't have rekeying, then the big data applications are
    > the only ones at risk. If we do, it may be a wedge which can
    > compromise all users.

    if the rekey doesn't allow the application to change authentication
    tokens (as it now stands), then rekey is much more secure than
    renegotiation was in TLS <= 1.2

    so if we include rekeying in TLS, I'd suggest to set its limit to
    something fairly low for dig data transfers, that is gigabytes, not
    terabytes, otherwise we'll be introducing code that is simply not
    tested
    for interoperability

    (with AES-NI you can easily transfer gigabytes in just few minutes)
    --
    Regards,
    Hubert Kario