On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Adam Langley <a...@imperialviolet.org>
wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Paterson, Kenny
> <kenny.pater...@rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> >>provokes me to bring it up. Here's the crux of it; is it really a
> >>security win to recommend the AEAD cipher suites for TLS 1.2 users?
>
> I'm skeptical about the benefit of padding to 16 bytes. While it does
> increase the size classes in your Wikipedia example, Wikipedia pages
> trigger subresource loads, which also have a size and page-to-page
> navigation leaks more information. My takeaway from reading
> traffic-analysis papers over the years is that countermeasures are
> surprisingly difficult.

16-bytes is small, I wish it were much bigger, but it may elevate things to
where you even need to form a sub resource attack and increases the size of
the graph/fingerprint that you need to maintain to form the sub-resource
attack. I doubt it would thwart a large actor for very long, but it would
help against smaller ones and I'm guessing that it might block some
specific attacks like the autocompletion one mentioned in the paper.

--
Colm