On 30 March 2016 at 12:45, Kyle Nekritz <knekr...@fb.com> wrote:
> The time since the client hello was sent/received can still be used if it is
> stored after opening the connection.

Only if we introduce an inconsistency by asking for different handling
in different circumstances.  I agree that in many cases,
NewSessionTicket is generated in response to something in the client's
first flight, but that's not a guarantee.

> It's also important exactly where and when the server checks the timestamp.
> If the timestamp is solely checked upon receipt of the client hello, an
> attacker can slowly trickle replayed 0-RTT data to the server, which somewhat
> defeats the point of a very narrow replay window (with a 1 second window, the
> connection must be opened with 1 second, but the application data could
> actually get delivered minutes later).

If you want to handle the pathological cases, feel free to propose mitigation.