Hello all,

Regarding the discussion of the Sweet32 attack, it's worth mentioning that
there is a specification of so called key meshing for the Russian GOST
cipher (which has 64-bit block as well).
Key meshing is a procedure of a predictable change of the current key after
processing an certain amount of data.
It is described in RFC 4357, Section 2.3 (
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4357#section-2.3).

This key meshing defends against any attack that uses a big portion of data
encrypted with the same key.

May be it is useful to specify the similar procedure for modern ciphers too.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 5:08 AM, Tony Arcieri <basc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This attack was published today[*]:
>
> https://sweet32.info/
>
> I bring it up because I think the threat model is similar to the threats
> that lead to RC4 "diediedie"
>
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7465
>
> Should there be a 3DES "diediedie"?
>
> I believe 3DES is MTI for TLS 1.0/1.1(?) but I think it would make sense
> for it to be banned from TLS 1.3.
>
> [*] Lest anyone claim the contrary, I am not surprised by this attack, and
> have pushed to have 3DES removed from TLS prior to the publication of this
> attack, and can probably find a TLS implementer who can back me up on that.
>
> --
> Tony Arcieri

SY, Dmitry Belyavsky