A few observations:

+ TLS 1.3 is designed around the assumption that we are doing DH-style
  key establishment. There are good reasons for this, both in terms of
  protocol simplicity and in terms of establishing a baseline of
  strong modes (PFS, compatibility with standard uses of EC,
  etc.). Re-adding a key transport mode like TLS 1.2 static RSA would
  be extremely disruptive, even if it weren't being raised so late in
  the process. It's certainly not just a matter of changing some
  RFC 2119 language forbidding static RSA.

+ As several people have observed, there are several potential ways to
  build an equivalent capability that's compatible with TLS 1.3 as it
  currently is designed (see for instance Hugo Krawczyk's email [0])
  They would of course require a different interface between the
  monitoring appliance and the server (i.e., you would need to export
  a different kind of key and use it somewhat differently on the
  monitoring system), but it's not significantly less efficient.

-Ekr

[0] As well as his caveat about analysis being needed here.