On 24 November 2016 at 13:18, Colm MacCárthaigh <c...@allcosts.net> wrote:
> Can I break this into two parts then? First, do you agree that it would be
> legitimate for a client, or an implementation (library), to deliberately
> replay 0-RTT data? E.g. browsers and TLS libraries MAY implement this as a
> safety mechanism, to enforce and audit the server's and application's
> ability to handle the challenges of replay-ability correctly.

OK, let's be clear: I don't agree that the level of paranoia
surrounding 0-RTT is warranted.  I'm of the belief that end-to-end
replay is a property we should be building in to protocols, not just
something a transport layer does for you.  On the web, that's what
happens, and it contributes greatly to overall reliability.

The reaction to perceived problems in 0-RTT is disproportionate.  You
are asking for a license to replay here at some arbitrary layer of the
stack.  That's not principled, it's just on the basis that you don't
like 0-RTT and want to innoculate other people's software against the
ill effects it might create.  What I object to here is the
externalizing that this represents.  Now if I have the audacity to
deploy 0-RTT, I have to tolerate some amount of extra trash traffic
from legitimate clients?