> On Dec 2, 2016, at 10:34 PM, Tony Arcieri <basc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The consensus in the room was to leave it as is, i.e., TLS1.3, and to not
> rebrand it to TLS 2.0, TLS 2, or TLS 4.  We need to confirm this decision on
> the list so please let the list know your top choice between:
>
> - Leave it TLS 1.3
> - Rebrand TLS 2.0
> - Rebrand TLS 2
> - Rebrand TLS 4
>
> by 2 December 2016.
>
> I guess we're at the deadline, but I have a compromise I think makes sense:
>
> - Keep this version TLS 1.3
> - For the next version of TLS, drop the 1.x and call it TLS 4

That "next version", will perhaps be the one after the QC crypto-apocalypse...

More seriously I don't expect another TLS version after this for a decade
or so.  The adoption cycle is so long, it makes little sense to rev the
protocol with any frequency.  So get it right now, near-term revisions
seem unlikely.

So I see your proposal as not a compromise, but rather as staying with
the status quo, for better or worse and for quite some time...

--
        Viktor.