> On 22 May 2017, at 20:27, Benjamin Kaduk <bka...@akamai.com> wrote:
>
> On 05/22/2017 12:17 PM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>>> On May 22, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Benjamin Kaduk <bka...@akamai.com>
>>> <mailto:bka...@akamai.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Given the apparent strength of opinion against removing these supposed
>>> restrictions entirely, it seems like this text (or something similar) is
>>> probably the best we can do.
>> Perhaps so, but I saw only one strong objection from Dave Garrett.  Is that
>
> There was also some discussion when this text was originally going in, IIRC.
> But I do not remember well enough to say who/how many people wanted it.

This came up in one of the F2F meetings. I believe I argued that we shouldn’t
have PKIX policy in a TLS document, because if signing certificates with SHA-1
is bad, it’s bad for all users of certificates, and should be prohibited by a
PKIX document, not a TLS document.

The room was against me then. So it may look now like it’s just Dave (and now
Rich), there was more support for this at the time.

Yoav