On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 10:22 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobb...@arbor.net>
wrote:

> I think that your first and third points are actually non-sequiturs: the
> unencrypted stream is available to the entities controlling either
> endpoint, not just the log.
>
> This assertion is both incorrect & incomplete in its scope.

Okay.   What did I miss?

> There is no *technical *reason that in-flight capture is required to
> address those two points.
>
> This assertion is factually incorrect.  There are quite frequently reasons
> to have both visibility & the ability to intercede into the traffic in
> question at one or more specific points in the network topology *between*
> endpoints.

For example?

> This is network security & troubleshooting 101.

Great!   Can you point me to the textbook for that class, because I must
have missed it!

> No - the attempt to denigrate & dismiss real-world technical operational
> requirements is invalid, as is the dismissal of the administrative context
> of actual network operators in the real world.

I believe that I merely described the situation.   If you think my
description was not accurate, then it would be great if you could explain
in what way it was not accurate.   I realize that institutional problems of
the sort that I described do exist, are real, and do cause real pain for
ops people--that's not my point.   My point is that what you are describing
sounds like it's a layer 9 problem.   If it's not, I'm genuinely not seeing
it.   Rather than being offended at what you say is my mischaracterization
of the situation, could you just point out where the mischaracterization
lies?