CCM_8 is used in the IoT space because some SDOs believed that they need
to optimize the transmission overhead. Clearly, this is not meant for
general purpose use but rather for IoT only.

Is it a good idea to truncate the authentication tag? I don't have an
opinion about that but that's what the specifications make you use and
that's also what is now in hardware.