On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 12:33 PM David Schinazi
<dschinazi.i...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Our threat model should be described in the introduction. From your
> comments I'm guessing it isn't clear, so we should fix that. The basic
> idea is that any on-link device can change the routing of the entire
> network, and that's bad for hopefully obvious reasons. The goal of
> Babel over DTLS is to prevent that. Can you suggest a better way
> to convey that?

It might pay to describe who is involved, and what prior information
is assumed.  There might be a few different deployment assumptions,
which probably means pointing at other documents.

Your list of PSK options (below) assumes a range of options, each
assuming a different threat model.  I hadn't even considered that
option - the draft mentions asymmetric-key-based authentication.
Which you should probably pin down to either certificates or raw
public keys.  Not choosing is a different sort of choosing.

> PSK can either be used with:
> - one key for the entire network, which does not allow revocation

In this case, you would assume that there is no possibility of
compromise or defection of any entity in a "network".  That doesn't
seem like a reasonable threat model.

> - one key per node (N), but that requires all nodes to know all keys
>     which allows impersonation
> - pairwise (N^2) keys, which does not scale well

Yep, all of which speaks to some serious shortcomings of the
HMAC-based protocol.  If N^2 is feasible, it would be good to hear how
those keys are managed.  1 and N similarly don't seem feasible from a
deployment and operational perspective.