> On 26 Mar 2019, at 14:45, Hubert Kario <hka...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Monday, 25 March 2019 22:09:35 CET Yoav Nir wrote:
>> Hi.  Today at the TLS meeting, there was a discussion at the mic about 1-bit
>> extensions that only serve to indicate support for an optional feature. EKR
>> commented that such extensions take 4 bytes each and that maybe we need to
>> replace them with a flags extension.
>>
>> So I threw together a quick -00 draft with an extension that does just that
>> [1].
>>
>> Comments are welcome.
>
> I don't think that "penny-pinching" the 4 bytes necessary to send a flag is
> worth the interoperability problems, and increased complexing of parsing
> Client Hello. Especially if we go the route of actual bit flags.

Right. Which is why I went with a 1-byte encoding rather than a bitstring.

> I think the likelihood of bugs in that code over the possible bytes saved
> makes it a net negative.

I don’t think so. My encoding is not all that complex.

> yes, TLS is quite chatty protocol, it could encode values much more tightly,
> but I think we all remember the bugs related to ASN.1 parsing from inside of
> PKCS#1 v1.5 signatures

Complexity is on a spectrum.  DER encoding is pretty far on this spectrum.  A
list of 1-octet identifiers is on the other end. A bitstring is more complex
than the identifier list, but not anywhere near DER.

I don’t think we should project the failings of DER parsing to the parsing of
much simpler structures.

Yoav