Hi Gary,

Thanks for your review and support.  I'll respond inline and if Stephen
disagrees, he will chime in :-)

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 9:51 AM Gary Gapinski <gary=
40garygapinski....@dmarc.ietf.org> wrote:

> On 4/12/19 7:28 PM, Christopher Wood wrote:
>
> This is the working group last call for the "Deprecating TLSv1.0 and TLSv1.1”
> draft available at:
>
>     https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/
>
> Please review the document and send your comments to the list by April 26,
> 2019.
>
> I think the document should be published.
>
> I agree with Martin Thomson's observation that the SP 800-52r2 quotes in
> Section 2 are a bit prolix considering the relatively small content that
> would remain if excised, and that NIST document has been in draft for a
> prolonged time (reducing its authority). The quotes imply but do not demand
> disuse of TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1, and could inadvertently be interpreted to
> mean that use of TLS 1.2 rather than TLS 1.3 is sinful.

I had interpreted Martin's comment's a little differently and cut out other
text.  Hmm, for the NIST quotes, I see this as providing the supporting
reasons and their recommendations not being the same as the recommendations
in this draft.  I think by the updated text Marten suggested on "updates",
this point is addressed, but please let us know if you feel otherwise.

> An additional (congenial) informative reference could be BSI TR-02102-2
> found at
>

> https://www.bsi.bund.de/EN/Publications/TechnicalGuidelines/tr02102/index_htm.html
>
> which in §3.2 states "TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are *not recommended*".

Thank you for the reference, it's probably bets to have a couple of sources
here.  I included the following text with the pdf reference included in the
working copy:

The German Federal Office for Information Security, recommends against use
of TLS versions less than 1.2 in the publication <xref
target="TR-02102-2"
>Cryptographic Mechanisms: Recommendations and Key Lengths</xref>

Best regards,
Kathleen

> Regards,
>
> Gary