You might like to coordinate with Martin Duke, who is doing similar (but
different) things with QUIC:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-duke-quic-load-balancers-04

Personally, I find this sort of thing difficult to reason about.  I would
rather have a separate TLS connection with each backend than to overload or
annotate connections.  Cramming stuff ahead of the real connection is awkward,
but I can see how that might be necessary in order to get back-end systems
ready for the new connection.  That won't be sufficient for QUIC though.

As an aside, the proposed design for QUIC is a very good way to ossify the QUIC
handshake.  I don't think that's a good way to do this, even if I believed that
the potential growth in MTU was not a problem.

I would have thought it easier to use an exporter (plus one to provide a key
identifier) to get shared keys -- if you need them.  I don't think that you do
though.

If you look at Martin Duke's design, the load balancer acts as an oracle.  It
can do that for ESNI in the split mode you envisage.