On 21/10/2019 20:14, Rob Sayre wrote:
> I have seen MTUs under 1500 many times, but nothing under 1200. Is there
> data on this? (I honestly haven't seen any)

My assumption is that maybe 90% of names are <60 octets.
That means padding_length of 260 is wasting roughly
200 octets, almost all the time (hi there GREASE!).

If that's 20% of what remains available in an MTU then
it's still wasted as it'll no longer be available for
whatever other things people wanna send with or add
to a CH.

Prediction: if we stick with the current design, in
a few years, if ESNI gets widely deployed, we'll have
to revisit that aspect and come up with some more
efficient way to solve the problem, and that'll mean
ignoring the value 260 in then-deployed ESNIKeys;-(

S.