On 22/10/2019 15:56, Ben Schwartz wrote:
> Sure.  For example, tumblr limits usernames to 32 characters:
> https://unwrapping.tumblr.com/post/58535402323/tips-tumblr-username
>
> These usernames also form the subdomain part of the *.tumblr.com
> wildcard, so the longest allowed name is [32 chars].tumblr.com.
>
> I expect that most wildcard TLS hosts impose similar limits.

Fair enough. Sub-domains (or whatever may be the right
term) can have such limits. However, IIUC most services
ilke hosters or CDNs will just allow anything that's a
valid DNS name so I argue that our design target ought
be to handle that well. (The current spec does handle
it, but not, IMO, well;-)

Cheers,
S.