On Thu, Apr 23, 2020, at 18:11, Hanno Becker wrote:
> You criticize that an implicit CID which is still included in the AAD
> requires state on the receiver when processing multiple records within
> a single datagram, which is true. I'm saying that the same holds for
> the PR 143 which adds the implicit CID to the AAD even if it's not in
> the header. In that sense, this (valid) issue exists on both cases.

Right, but that is why I don't like 143..

> There is nothing subjective here: You cannot make full use of the
> compression features such as length omission independently of the
> underlying datagram layer, because you have to know that the record
> you're sending will be the last. So clearly sending is _harder_ if you
> have to decide on the header format already during record protection,
> while if you can protect the record on the basis of the logical header
> data alone, choice of header format and choice of packing into
> datagrams can be handled entirely independently.

Those are new, optional features, so I'm assuming that any costs associated
with exercising them justify any complexity.

> > The authenticated logical header being different than what is sent on the
> > wire is a bug in my opinion. Authenticating all the bytes you send makes
> > the protocol simpler and less error prone.
>
> So far, there hasn't been any substance to the claim that
> authenticating the logical header is a "bug" or "defect", while in
> (a)-(c) above I provide multiple reasons why it is in fact beneficial.

I don't agree with your reasoning.  As far as a bug, let me just say that
having to allocate and construct a pseudo-header separate to the actual header
is work that no longer has to be done.  So receiver logic is easier.