Hi Torsten,

The HKDF is one of the approved KDFs for being used together with an approved
key exchange as specified in 56C.

At this moment, a standalone HKDF is not approved yet.

Draft version 2 of SP 800-133 (Section 6.3, item# 3:
https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-133r2-draft.pdf
 )specifies an option for a HKDF's extraction step when the IKM is a shared
secret generated from a NIST's approved random bit generator in SP 800-90
series (like external pre-shared key in TLS 1.3) or when the IKM is a
pseudorandom key derived from a previous approved key exchange (like a
resumption in TLS 1.3).

Recommendation for Cryptographic Key
Generation<https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/SpecialPublications/NIST.SP.800-133r2-draft.pdf>
Draft NIST Special Publication 800-133 . Revision 2. Recommendation for
Cryptographic Key Generation. Elaine Barker . Allen Roginsky . Richard Davis .
This publication is available free of charge from:
nvlpubs.nist.gov

When/if that extraction step option is officially approved, meaning the current
NIST's approved HKDFs in key exchanges in SP 800-56C would become NIST-approved
standalone HKDFs, we'll publish their test vectors.

Regards,
Quynh.