On Fri, Aug 05, 2022 at 07:16:06PM -0700, Rob Sayre wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 5:16 PM Sofía Celi <cheren...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
> > There is a notion of being 'quantum annoyant' to a quantum computer:
> >

> I've encountered the term "quantum annoyant" a few times. Is there a
> precise definition that could be referenced? Maybe [0]?
>
> I don't find the references I know of very satisfying, and I would
> translate "annoyant" to "doesn't actually work".
>
> thanks,
> Rob
>
> [0]
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://eprint.iacr.org/2021/696.pdf__;!!GjvTz_vk!S_lXpy5HvfAfDJmtXdME2kuOOLXGTGz07_pqClIgY8ppVcZYu7Cf2WQ0K7YjyyOypKFppMI6NE_C$

I think [0] is the reference (or at least very similar content) I've seen in
previous discussions of this topic.

It's annoying to the attacker when they have to use their expensive and finicky
hardware once (or multiple times) for each individual message/exchange they
want to break, rather than being able to amortize the cost of running the
quantum computer across many protocol runs that are broken by that computer.
They'd have to be selective about what to decrypt (quickly), rather than just
getting "everything" -- while a QC does provide massive speedups, it does still
take some actual amount of time to run, and we can build protocols so that
the runtime of the QC is a practical constraint on the attacker's ability, even
if it is not necessarily a theoretical constraint on them.

-Ben