Hello,

I work on NIC hardware acceleration for NVIDIA, and we are looking into
QUIC and DTLS1.3 acceleration. QUIC and DTLS employ packet number
encryption (PNE) which increases security. At the same time, PNE
significantly encumbers hardware acceleration as I’ll explain next.

For hardware to encrypt the packet numbers, there are two options:

   1.

   Feed the header back into the encryption machine after data has been
   encrypted. This means storing and forwarding data, higher implementation
   complexity, and greater bandwidth requirements on the single encryption
   machine.
   2.

   Adding an additional unique pipeline stage dedicated for header
   encryption.

As you may already know, this is not hardware friendly and for this reason
many vendors will likely refuse to pay the cost of supporting this. But
suppose a vendor does implement this feature, one problem still remains.
PNE will still cause noticeable latency and performance degradation for
high speed networks (think >400Gbps).

Now, in certain use-cases, such as high performance computing, cloud
computing, or data-center clusters—the security benefits of encrypting
headers are marginal compared to the latency imposed by PNE. Would it be
possible to consider letting these users negotiate to disable PNE and by
doing so benefit (more) from encryption acceleration?

Best regards,

Boris