To clarify, when you say "the draft" do you mean draft-ietf-tls-esni
or draft-sbn-tls-svcb-ech? draft-ietf-tls-esni doesn't actually define a
format for it in the first place. draft-sbn-tls-svcb-ech does... that got
adopted, right? Is there a TLSWG version?

Messiness around the status of the draft aside, the format for ech (5) is
stable. In the unlikely event that we want to change the format, we will
also need to change the codepoint to avoid breaking things. So ech (5) will
forever mean what it currently means: an ECHConfigList of
internally-versioned ECHConfigs.