To respond directly to the call: I think we should require some level of
formal analysis for this kind of extension.

If there is some, I think the WG should look at it to determine whether
it's sufficient. If there isn't I think this should remain at experimental.
Not having a normative downref is not a good reason; those are trivial to
manage.

-Ekr