Bas Westerbaan writes:
> We think it's worth it now, but of course we're not going to keep
> hybrids around when the CRQC arrives.

I think this comment illustrates an important ambiguity in the "CRQC"
terminology. Consider the scenario described in the following paragraph
from https://blog.cr.yp.to/20240102-hybrid.html:

   Concretely, think about a demo showing that spending a billion
   dollars on quantum computation can break a thousand X25519 keys.
   Yikes! We should be aiming for much higher security than that! We
   don't even want a billion-dollar attack to be able to break _one_ key!
   Users who care about the security of their data will be happy that we
   deployed post-quantum cryptography. But are the users going to say
   "Let's turn off X25519 and make each session a million dollars
   cheaper to attack"? I'm skeptical. I think users will need to see
   much cheaper attacks before agreeing that X25519 has negligible
   security value.

It's easy to imagine the billion-dollar demo being important as an
advertisement for the quantum-computer industry but having negligible
impact on cryptography:

   * Hopefully we'll have upgraded essentially everything to
     post-quantum crypto before then.

   * It's completely unclear that the demo should or will prompt users
     to turn off hybrids.

   * On the attack side, presumably real attackers will have been
     carrying out quantum attacks before the public demo happens.

For someone who understands what "CRQC" is supposed to mean: Is such a
demo "cryptographically relevant"? Is the concept of relevance broad
enough that Google's earlier demonstration of "quantum supremacy" also
counts as "cryptographically relevant", so CRQCs are already here?

---D. J. Bernstein