Matthew Boeckman wrote:

> Having thouroughly read the docs, I thought that I was to setup a
> user, using the supplied .py password generation script, to manage
> tmda. Thus, I created user 'admin' (who is not a system user) and a
> password. I typed said username in the form, and got the resultant
> error.

Aha, that is exactly the problem.

> I think I now infer that this only works on system users that exist in
> /etc/passwd (??) ?

Yes. Because you answered "None" to the virtual users question, you must login as an actual system user. Basicly, login works like this:

1 - Authenticate the given username and password against the mechanism picked during .configure
2 - If this worked, then find the $HOME directory for the user so we can read the ~/.tmda/config and ~/.tmda/pending/*
- In the case of virtual users, look this up using a script specific to the virtual user system specified during ./configure.
- In the case of no virtual users (your case), assume the username logged in is a real system username, and look up $HOME in /etc/passwd.

In other words:

If you do not have virtual users, only real users can login.

--
Jim Ramsay
"Me fail English?  That's unpossible!"