OK now I know where the confusion is.....
My usernames are seperate/different from their email names.
I use a seperate alias to point to their usernames.  (/etc/aliases.cab)
An old sendmail habit.
Kinda stupid but it was the way it was set up 10 years ago and
I haven't changed it.   So you see - it doesn't matter if the email
names are upper or lower.  BUT on my system,  I verify logins
with seperate usernames that aren't their email names.
Python does seem the culprit,  I'll check into it.  Thanks again.

George

Your email came to me in html format.

I am confused on your setup (I guess the theory behind it).
You say your usernames are case sensitive but that does not seem
practical to me.
For example, if I send an email to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] it would go to
[EMAIL PROTECTED].
Vpopmail does it this way too but whatever.
Passwords I understand, usernames is overkill with email.

I am guessing that tmda-cgi probably makes them lower case though before
passing it to the program.
It looks like a python function maybe but I am not a python programmer.

Sam