The behavior you observe is correct.  From
http://tmda.net/config-filter.html:

TMDA will not create Maildirs, mmdf or mbox files if they do not exist.
You must create them prior to having TMDA deliver mail to them with
commands like maildirmake and touch.

TMDA requires write access to any Maildir, mmdf or mbox file you wish to
deliver mail to.

TMDA will not deliver to an mmdf or mbox symlink. Specify the path to
the actual mbox file instead.

Do not deliver to mmdf or mbox files located on an NFS filesystem. This
is unsafe and can corrupt your mbox file -- this applies to all MDAs,
not just TMDA. Use Maildir instead as it is immune to such problems.