Rich Duzenbury wrote:
> I'm trying to work through a problem with a new installation of tmda and
> could use your advice.

> In this configuration, email from an unknown source is sent a
> confirmation message.  Rather than accepting the confirmation, and
> allowing the message in, another confirmation for the reply is
> generated.  This continues over and over again.  Confirmations are never
> recognized as confirmations.  They are instead seen as new requests, and
> erroneously treated as such.

> The main interesting bit in the maillog is that tmda-filter is exiting
> with code 99, even on a response to a confirm request.

That's normal given how TMDA is acting (challenging mails). Whenever a
message is challenged, TMDA "consumes" the message (places it into the
holding "queue") and exits 99 to tell qmail not to attempt further
processing of the email. Typically, when the confirmation comes in, TMDA
will "pick up" the processing and deliver the email.

Do you have TMDA debug logging turned on - typically, look in the files
~/.tmda/logs - see also:

http://wiki.tmda.net/ConfigurationVariables#LOGFILE_DEBUG

One of these logfiles should/might tell you what's going on.

It sounds to me like TMDA isn't seeing the "EXTENSION" variable, which
differentiates between mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] v.s.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Perhaps you can check this.