Vincent Danen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Ok, I'm looking a little closer here.  If I look at bin/tmda-rfilter, I
> see in "def setvuserhomedir" that it's setting os.environ['HOME'] to the
> value it's obtaining from the output of -S
>
> In TMDA/Defaults.py I see it setting:
>
> HOMEDIR = os.path.expanduser('~')
>
> I'm not a python programmer by any stretch of the imagination, but
> shouldn't HOMEDIR = os.environ['HOME']?  Could the expansion of ~ be
> looking elsewhere than at the $HOME environment variable (I don't know,
> I don't know how that function works).

Here's the description of os.path.expanduser from the docs[1]:

expanduser(path)

  On Unix, return the argument with an initial component of "~" or
  "~user" replaced by that user's home directory. An initial "~" is
  replaced by the environment variable HOME if it is set; otherwise
  the current user's home directory is looked up in the password
  directory through the built-in module pwd. An initial "~user" is
  looked up directly in the password directory.

  On Windows, only "~" is supported; it is replaced by the environment
  variable HOME or by a combination of HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH.

  If the expansion fails or if the path does not begin with a tilde,
  the path is returned unchanged.

Footnotes:
[1] http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.path.html