yep, my forum is still there, I haven't been there either!!  It seems that no one was interested and it was lonely by myself
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 8:04 AM
Subject: Re: [TMIC] House Rules

The only official rules are on the TMIC web site at http://www.myelitis.org/tmic/ and say:

TMIC-LIST Guidelines

Posting:

Messages:

Problems: If you have any problems or suggestions with the list, please contact the list owner Jim Lubin

Eveything else kind of developed by more-or-less mutual agreement over time, like putting "OT" for "off-topic" in the subject line when the topic isn't specifically TM-related, etc.

From time to time we have these differences of opinion between those who want the list to be "all business" -- the business of dealing with TM -- and others who have gotten to know each other and gotten friendly and want to be more chatty. I think at one point someone began a list for those who wanted to talk beyond just TM, but I don't think it lasted. Gilly had a web site for those who wanted a place to just talk and visit -- Gilly is that still up? I haven't been there in a while.

I can see points on both sides of the issue. Being just totally TM only can be kind of cold and sterile and stifle budding friendships. I mean -- even usually in cold and sterile places like my doctor's exam room, there is a little small talk beyond just the business of being there -- it adds warmth and humanness. But when there is a bunch of non-TM stuff and "chatter" it can kind of clutter up one's mailbox. I've always thought that if there was something of a balance, a little non-TM stuff was ok (but that's just me). Perhaps if a conversation is straying off-topic, people could hit "Reply to all" and then remove the TMIC mailing address so everyone in the conversation gets the mail but the main list doesn't -- just a suggestion.

(ME -- I'm not adding this to "correct" you -- just adding my understanding to yours. :-) )

Barbara H.