Krissy,

You acked:  "so, do we want or not want our bodies to be acidic with this? And how can we find out our levels?"

Being acidic usually leads to disease.  What you want is a balance closer to neutral, or slightly alkaline.

To be sure I didn't give you any misinformation, I did a search, and typed in 'ideal body pH'  and found this statement:  'The ideal target is a 7.0 pH when measuring your saliva upon rising in the morning, before eating or drinking anything."   7.0 is neutral, meaning neither acidic or alkaline.  Ideal blood pH is slightly alkaline, 7.35 - 7.45. but that's slightly different b/c that's after the respiratory system and kidneys have already buffered body pH.  That reading won't tell you too much about how you're eating.

To measure your saliva pH, use pH paper from a health food store, or order from someplace like Amazon.com.  When I did the search, I found one of the sites had 'pH sticks' you could order for less than what I've paid for pH paper (~ $8 as compared to $13).  (I purposely told you what to search for rather than giving you a site, because they all seem to be selling health food products and I didn't want to sound like I was endorsing any particular company.)

One of the sites suggested "4 parts alkaline to 1 part acid" when choosing food for your diet, if you want to come out with a healthy pH.  That's pretty much in line with what I've heard before.  But then if you're already terribly acidic, then you'd want to eat even more alkaline, until you reached a balance (or vice versa, but that's rare).  I think this was also the site that had a really good chart on what foods were acidic and which were alkaline, etc.

Good luck,
Sally