Yeah, I see what you mean--I was repeating what someone on the list told
me a year or so ago, and was speaking of the sphincters,   Of course there
are other muscles that push in  the case of bladder and bowel.
And of course, my own damage is at the sacral level, so I am a mess, and
am still trying to understand it all.  Thanks for the help and for the
websites!  Anything you may have to say in further clarification of the
anatomy and function would be welcome.  Cora