Jude,
I know this fits your question personally, but it might help someone else in an
HMO also.  I was in your same HMO since its existence until I went on Medicare
May 2006.  Michigan Blue Care Network no longer has "territories".  The HMO
allows you to cross what used to be the territory lines and receive coverage
from any provider who works with the BCN HMO.
I must have saved my Blue Care Network notebook just for you.  This is from the
Winter 2004 booklet (page 22). " No more regions:  you can select any
participating provider.  It no longer matters what region you live in or where
your primary physician is located.  You can select any participating provider
in our service area.  Of course, its best to have one close to home, but you no
longer have to worry abour crossing regional lines."
My neuro was alway out of my PCP's region and the office manager gave me fits
each time she had to go through BCN's process.   She and I hasseled for two
months over a referral. because she didn't know of this policy change.  Maybe
its possible that your doctor's office isn't going the extra mile and they are
giving you the excuse of territory or regional lines when they are no longer a
problem.  I hope this is the answer you need.
BCN phone number is 800-662-6667.  They can tell you if this policy is still in
effect.