Hi Sally,

It seems like the term banding is used for the chest area.  Here is a quetion
and answer from the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada website.
http://www.msanswers.ca/QuestionView.aspx?L=2&QID=258

Question: Are there any new drugs that would help severe chest banding? I have
tried Baclofen and I am taking Gabapentin but as yet have no relief ever from
banding.

Answer:  Banding is the sensation of a tight band around the chest. Although it
can feel like tight muscles, it is usually due to inflammation/demyelination of
a segment of the spinal cord. This results in "miss-messaging" and is
interpreted as tightness when nothing is actually tight. Thus muscle relaxants
don't work well, but drugs such as gabapentin , carbamazapine, or amitriptyline
which alter nerve transmission can be helpful.

Gabapentin must be tried up to doses of 3,600 mg per day in divided doses. If
this did not work then the next choice would be amitriptyline starting at 10mg
and increasing to 30-50 mg , usually at bedtime.

I couldn't see the date the question and answer was posted so there may be more
treatments available (if one can take them, that is).  The person answering is
a doctor, however, there is also a disclaimer from the MS Society of Canada at
the bottom of the page re always consulting a physician for medical advice.

Re: magnesium, my family doctor recommended it for the bad muscle cramps I was
having in my legs.  If I try to do certain exercises with my right leg, my left
leg goes into horrible cramps.  I must have a lot of mis-wiring!  The cramping
has lessened although it has not gone completely.

Regards.

Louise